Initial BootOn boot the machine scrolls the usual reams of text and ends with a dialog box to choose the operating system to install. I'm a "recommended" kind of guy the first-time round, and so chose Raspbian. It didn't hurt that my preferred distribution is Debian/Ubunutu :)
And things installed successfully, so a reboot and we're ready for setup.
- Expand Filesystem
- The install of Raspbian includes this step, ensuring that the full memory of the SD card is available.
- Do this. Not only does it secure your system, but also makes it available for remote login via ssh.
- Because I don't see needing a desktop for what I'm doing I didn't do this. Memory is scant enough on these without using it when not required.
- Support for UK English is on my default
- I did change this to add support for Canadian English (en_CA.UTF-8) as well.
- If I'd bought the camera module this would make sense, but I didn't.
- This looks like it adds geo-location tracking for the device (rastrack.co.uk). Not part of my current ideas
- Maybe another time. For now, working is good enough.
- I set the hostname to vantasticvideo
- I enabled ssh
A reboot and the RPi is ready for customization. Next time!